1. On Sri Lanka’s flag the colours and symbols mean,
- The lion in the flag represents the Sinhala race.
- The sword of the lion represents the royal family of the country.
- The handle of the sword highlights the elements of water, fire, air and earth.
- The vertical stripe of orange represent the national Tamil race and the green vertical stripe means the national Muslim race.
2. The language that the people speak in Sri Lanka is Sinhala.
3. There are 21,513,990 people living in Sri Lanka in 2012.
4. Sri Lanka is next to Asia. It is really small on the map when you look at the difference to Asia next to it.
5. Sri Lanka is the world’s largest tea exporters.
6. Sri Lanka's national flag is known to be one of the oldest flags in the world.
7. The spice cinnamon originated in Sri Lanka and was discovered by the Egyptians.
8. The most common meal in Sri Lanka is a spicy curry served with rice.
9. There are Pyramids in Sri Lanka.
10. Sri Lanka is an island country in the northern Indian Ocean.
11. Parts of Sri Lanka were badly damaged in the 2004 earthquake under the sea. Sri lanka was the second worst hit but first was Indonesia. 35,000 people were killed in Sri Lanka.